From 14-17 march ’06 was the Machinima workshop at Mediamatic. Together with Mark Meadows (US | artist, 3D animator, game developer), Friedrich Kirschner (Germany | machinimamaker, editor Machinimag), Daniël van Gils (NL – interaction designer, machinima educator) and of course Mediamatic we provided the workshop. The main tools we used for the workshop were Machinimation 1 & 2 and Sims2, but also any other game was possible to use.
What I really like about machinimas (making films in games) is, that it is a development out of the fan culture, where gamers stopped playing a game and started creating their own content. The shift from consuming to creating makes it interesting. To get an idea of machinimas have a look at films at the official machinima site, check out the online readers or have a look at wikipedia.
The next machinima workshop at Mediamatic will be from 26 to 29 September 2006.
here are some more handy links (thanks to Friedrich):
- ‘Diary of a Camper’ by Rangers
- ‘James Bond: No Licence’ by Short Fuze
- ‘The Awakening’ – April Hoffmann
- ‘Inside the machinima’ by Machinimated Studios
- ‘World of Warcraft – Shutup and Dance! by Isparian
- ‘Red versus Blue’ episodes by Roosterteeth
- ‘Dance, Voldo, Dance’ by Chris Brandt
- ‘A Few Good G-Men’ by R.Glass
- ‘Fake Science’ by Dead On Que
- ‘World of Warcraft – Internet is for Porn’ by Evilhoof and Flayed
// Machinima sites
- Machinima Deutschland
- http://blog.machinima.org by Paul Marino
to unzip the movie files you can use this tool: UltimateZip
// Machinima festivals
// Screen Capture Tools
- http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2Pages/Sims2patches.htm (NO BALLOONS PATCH)